1. I forgot my log-in password. What should I do?
Please choose “Forgot your password?” on main page. The system will send a message with reset link to your registered email address. Please make sure to use the link shortly after its request.
2. I want to add information about my institution. How can I do that?
Please click on your avatar in the upper-right corner of the window. Fill in the fields related to your organization in respective lines. Save them, clicking on “Update profile” button.
3. I want to change my personal data: mail, name, password. How can I do that?
Please click on your avatar in the upper-right corner of the window. Enter and save your preferred email, password and display name in respective lines. Save them by clicking on buttons under each section.
4. I want to change the language of the system. How can I do that?
Please click on your avatar in the upper-right corner of the window. Select your preferred language from the drop-down menu, located in the “Change Interface Language” section. Save settings by clicking on “Change language”.
5. What is the difference between folder on my PC and collection in the K-Box?
K-Box collections behave differently from folders in the following way:
6. What is the difference between Trash and Delete?
In the K-Box, “deleting” a file means removing it from the K-Box, while keeping in it “trash” allows to restore it, since it is still in the system. Complete deletion is possible only from Trash.
7. Can me and my colleague login at the same time from my browser?
We recommend using incognito tabs or different browsers for this purpose. Otherwise, the latest logged-in user account will be active.
1. How can I know what Projects are accessible?
The overview over accessible projects is possible from the Projects page, as well as under “Projects” section in the left-hand navigation system. Projects are marked with yellow line.
2. I cannot see any Project collection. Who should I contact?
If you cannot see any project, then you have not been added to any. Please contact your librarian or project manager via email for further assistance.
3. I want to download a file from the Project collection. How can I do that?
Please right-click on a file, select “Details”, to open the details window. At this point you can click on download.
4. I can see the Project collection but how can I get to its subcollections?
In order to view the internal structuring of a Project collection, please hit the arrow-like symbol next to title of the Project. Same applied to sub-subcollections.
5. I want to upload a file to a Project subcollection. How can I do that?
There are several options for uploading a file into K-Box.
6. I uploaded a video, but it does not appear in the Project subcollection. Where can I find it? If you used “Upload Video” function from top menu bar, after uploading video, you will see small button “Open file location”. If you click on it, the system will open your file in uploaded collection. Alternatively, you can go to your “Recent” in the navigation menu to see latest files uploaded. You can select and move it from Recent into target location in the left-hand navigation menu.
7. I want to move a file from the current location to another subcollection. How can I do that? Please select your file and drag and drop it into the target subcollection in the left-hand navigation menu. Right click on the file to open the details window. Under Collections you can see assigned subcollections highlighted orange. Hit the “X” symbol to remove the incorrect collection.
8. The language of an uploaded document is detected wrong. How to change that? In order to change the language of a document, please go to the “Edit” page from its details panel (or via the right click menu “Edit” item). Select the language and “Save” your changes.
9. What are the supported video formats?
The K-Box offer special support for mp4 video files encoded with H.264 codec (with AAC or MP3 audio). The minimum supported resolution is 480x360 pixels. The maximum supported resolution is 1920x1080 pixels.
10. Who is a copyright owner?
As a general rule, the copyright in a work is initially owned by the work’s creator, but this isn’t always the case. As a use case, if an author wants to publish their manuscript in a journal, they will have to conclude a publishing agreement.
According to the agreement, author transfers copyright to the publisher and will be capable of disseminating the original manuscript for non-commercial purposes only.
A concrete example of the policy is presented on the Elsevier website.
11. What is a license?
License provides information about the terms and conditions for a document/work use by third parties as specified by the copyright owner. Licenses help to protect the work from copyright infringement. Due to their legal value, they also allow the copyright owner to avoid giving use permissions on case by case basis.
12. When should I indicate a license or copyright owner information?
The copyright owner and license information should be indicated as soon as a work is shared, or disseminated with other users. It is strongly recommended to add that information before a work is shared in a public space.
13. I want to specify the copyright owner information. Where should I do that?
In order to add the copyright owner information, please go to the “Edit” page from the details panel (or via the right click menu “Edit” item). Fill in the fields under “Copyright owner” and “Save” your changes.
14. Where should I select a license?
In order to apply license, please go to the “Edit” page from the details panel (or via the right click menu “Edit” item). Under the “License” section, please select relevant license from the drop down list and “Save” your changes.
15. How should I select a license?
From the list of available licenses on the “Edit” page, users should select one fitting best the terms for use as indicated by the copyright owner. The K-Box also has a licenses help page integrated. To view the page, select “Help me choose a license” from the “Edit” page.
16. The license I need is not there. What should I do?
Please contact your librarian or K-Box Administrator, providing as much information as possible about the requested license. The request will be assessed by the K-Link K-Box support team.
There are several ways to share a file. They depend on the target audience you aim to share file with:
18. I want to share a file with my colleague. How do I know they have access to the Project?
In order to have an overview of users with access to file, please go to its Sharing settings through Details panel or right-click menu. Then click on highlighted number of users having access to the file. If your colleague is on the list, they have access to file. Otherwise, please use direct share (described above) before sending the link.
19. I shared a link to an uploaded file. Why do my colleagues not have access to it?
In case your file is not accessible by others, please check if the conditions listed in question 9 are successfully achieved.
20. What is a K-Link Network?
21. I want to make a file available for search in the K-Link network. How can I do that?
Note: To prevent sharing of unauthorized files (private, confidential, etc.), only users with permissions of project manager can employ the feature. Please contact your Project Administrator via email, indicating the file you would like to make public.
In order to make a file visible in the K-Link network, please go the sharing settings of the file and hit the “globe” icon.
Depending on the file type, the publication might require seconds or minutes to be searchable and playable from the public search results. Once you select the globe icon you can close the sharing dialog. Moving the mouse over the globe icon will tell the status of the publication process.
22. I want to make a public file private. How can I do that?
Note: Only users with permissions of project manager can perform this operation. Please contact your Project Administrator via email, indicating the document you would like to make private.
One can unpublish files only from the same K-Box they are physically stored in. In order to do that, please go the sharing settings of the file and hit the “lock” icon. As soon as the icon changed from “globe” to “lock”, your file is private again.
23. How can I edit public file?
Editing process for public files resembles the process for private files. Please go to Projects and open details panel for your file. Select “Edit” and make changes on the redirected page. Click “Save” for adopting your changes.
24. How can I view a Project microsite?
Please go to the Projects page for overview over all accessible projects. Please right-click on the project of interest and select “Details” from the menu. The “View Microsite” button under “Micrositebeta” will lead you to its public page.
1. I want to organize my documents. How can I create collections?
You can organize your uploads in My Collections section. Please create collections through “+” sign. Private collections are colored green for distinction from project collections (orange).
2. I want to create a structure. How can I do that?
Please right-click on the collection where you intend to create an internal structuring. Select create a sub-collection and give it a name. Hit the arrow-like symbol on the collection to see the subcollections.
3. I want to share a file with another user. How can I do that?
Except for publication, sharing of personal files has same features as sharing Project files. Please refer to the described steps in the sharing questions for further actions.
1. How can I help the system find a document?
Please use comprehensive keywords, following naming convention and boolean operators for better search:
OR: the operator links two key-words and searches for documents which contain either one of them. When no operator is entered, the
ORoperator is assumed by the system. E.g.
Markhor report 2014keyword combination is understood by the system as:
Markhor OR report OR 2014
AND: matches documents where both terms are used anywhere in the text. E.g.
Markhor AND report AND 2014will display documents where all the keywords are mentioned.
+: a word after this operator must exist in documents retrieved after search is performed. E.g.,
+Markhor AND report AND 2014will search for all three key-words, but with a stronger focus on "Markhor". The result searches might also include documents containing only "Markhor", but not necessarily "report" and "2014".
NOT: any document containing the keyword that you write after this operator will be excluded from the search results.
*: when you do not remember the whole word (common with names/surnames), you can use this operator as a wild card. the symbol can be used to look for beginning or end of the word ( * in the end or beginning of the keyword respectively). E.g.
Muzafar*will return documents containing words like
You can of course combine all those operators in order to get more relevant search results.
2. I want to find a document I have uploaded. How can I do that?
If you are looking for recently uploaded file, please go to “Recent” to find the latest uploads. For a greater search, please go to your Personal in the left-hand navigation menu and perform a search, using keywords and filtering the results.
3. I want to find a document in a Project collection. How can I do that?
Please open the Project collection so that you can see it appear in the search bar and highlighted white in the left-hand navigation menu. Please use comprehensive keywords and filters (see point 1) to find the target information.
4. I want to find a file, but do not remember which project it was assigned to. How can I find it?
Please open the Projects page where overview of accessible projects is offered. Start your search on that page, using comprehensive keywords and filters (see point 1) to find the target document.
5. I want to save several files in my profile for a faster search. How can I do that?
You can “star” a file clicking next to its title and it will appear in “Starred” section in the left-hand navigation menu. This functionality is limited to files hosted on your K-Box.
6. Where can I find all files shared with me from another Project?
Please go to “Shared with me” section in the left-hand navigation menu to view files shared by individual users.
Only users with permissions of project manager can perform operations described below. Please contact your Project Administrator via email, indicating your interest any of the points.
1. How can I create a Project?
Please go to the Projects page, click on “Create project” button from the top navigation bar. Fill necessary fields: project title, description, and add members to the project. Click on “Create project” button to finish task. Please make sure to add at least one user before saving your project.
2. I shared the Project with users, but they cannot see it. Why?
In order for users to have access to Project, the project manager should add them as its members. To do that, please go to the Projects page for overview over existing projects. Please right-click on the project of interest and select “Edit” from the menu. On the redirected page, please select all necessary users and click “Add users” to successfully share the project.
All users listed under “Current members” will have access to the Project.
3. How can I edit Project information?
Please go to the Projects page for overview over existing projects. Please right-click on the project of interest and select “Edit” from the menu.
4. How can I create a Project microsite?
Please go to the Projects page for overview over existing projects. Please right-click on the project of interest and select “Details” option. On that page you will see “Micrositebeta” section and “Create microsite” button. If you click on it, new page will be opened where you can choose the name of microsite, short link to it, logo, default language. You have to create content for English and Russian version of microsite by filling respective fields. Click to “Publish the Microsite” button to finish this task.
5. How can I edit a Project microsite?
Please go to the Projects page for overview over existing projects. Please right-click on the project of interest and select “details” from the menu. The “Edit microsite” button under “Microsite” will lead you to its settings page.
6. I want to create a user. How can I do that?
To create a user, please go to the Administration panel. Select Create user and fill in the fields. In order to assign the correct user account type, find out about the role and involvement of the user in the project activities:
1. I have a suggestion on how to improve the K-Link services. Where to post it?
Please go to http://klink.uservoice.com/ to post your suggestion and vote for ideas of other users.
2. I have a question regarding the behavior of the system. Whom should I ask?
Please refer all your questions to your librarian via email. Describe your question in two-three sentences providing the information such as what you find strange and what actions have you performed to get such a response from the system. Sharing your screen typically helps to better explain and understand the situation.
1. “File exists”
The file you are trying to upload is either among Personal or Project collections or Trash. Please review your Recent and Trash to make sure you do not have a copy uploaded. You can search Project collections using relevant keywords, if the file was uploaded by a colleague. Having exhausted the options above, please contact the K-Link team or your Project Administrator to find the file.
2. I cannot delete documents from Trash. Why?
In order to prevent accidental loss of information, permanent deletion from K-Box can be performed only when the administrator gives such permissions to user. Please contact your librarian should you be interested to have this permission.
3. I trashed a file, but the system does not allow me to upload it again. Why?
In order to avoid forest of files with identical content, the system does not allow to upload same file more than once. If your file is in Trash, please restore it and make changes (update version, edit, and assign correct collection). As long as file has not been permanently deleted, it is saved in the system.
4. “Cannot delete Collection”
You tried to delete a Project Collection. Only Project administrator can perform such an action as delete a project.
5. “Gateway timeout”
Poor internet connection results in delay of response from K-Link server.
6. “Loading problem. Some functionalities may not be available.”
This message will be showed in case of internet connectivity delay or blocked response. Sometimes the K-Link is slow or under high traffic, so everything needed for running the K-Box on your browser might not be received. You can refresh the page by clicking the browser refresh button or Ctrl+R on your keyboard. Refreshing the page normally solves the problem.
7. “File preview cannot be showed” or “File preview error”
The preview of a file is available only for selected file types. At now only PDF, MP4 video, JPG and PNG images are well supported. Microsoft Word Documents (created using Office 2010 or above using the Open XML format) might raise an error due some elements of the Word processing format not supported or being showed with partial formatting
8. I want to upload a file, but it is opening instead. Drag and drop does not work?
This behavior emerges with some browsers and is caused by the fact that the file has been drag and dropped outside of the upload sensible area. The upload area covers the whole page and is surrounded by a green border. If you’re in doubt drag and drop on the center of the screen, where the documents are listed.
Should you have any questions, please contact us at